Thursday, April 28, 2011

El's recurrent hind end abscess - solved! (Hopefully)

Subtitle -  How and Why a Barefoot Trimmer ALMOST Ended Up Putting On Shoes.
I am a bit hesitant writing this article.  On the surface it would appear that I am about to violate everything I believe in, regarding hoofcare.  But that is simply not the case.  I became a barefoot advocate and a barefoot trimmer because I truly believe it is in the best interest of horses.

Okay, what the heck am I talking about? :)
Here's the issue and some background:  El began competing last year as a 6 year old.  He completed roughly 150 miles barefoot, in 25 mile rides.  Then in August, I decided to take him to a multi-day ride in Michigan called Shore to Shore.  I was a bit concerned that his hooves might not be tough enough to handle 25 miles per day, so I decided to boot him for the week.  He completed 100 miles that week and looked great.  Here's the glitch - 3 weeks after Shore to Shore, he blew an enormous abscess in the right hind heel bulb.  At the time, I didn't think too much of it, as abscesses are relatively common.
Fast forward - 5 weeks later, El comleted a 40 mile competitive ride in good shape.
Fast forward - 4 weeks.  El blows another abscess in the heel bulb.  At that time, I had a vet look at the heel.  We thought it might just be a residual effect from the initial abscess, just a pocket of infection that needed to work itself to the surface.  No big deal.
Fast forward once more - March 2011.  El and I take a vacation to the Shawnee National Forest.  I read quite a few articles on the difficulty of the terrain in the Shawnee.  I decided to bring hoofboots along just in case.  As I said in an earlier entry, I rode several days completely barefoot and then felt El was becoming a bit hoof sore, so I booted him the remainder of the week.
Fast forward last! time - April 2011.  El is once again lame in the rear hind.  3 days later, another abscess.

Okay, the rocket scientists reading this, perhaps have already put the pieces of the puzzle together.  For the rest of us, myself included, here's what has been happening - the backstrap and/or gaiter has been rubbing El's heelbulbs, creating a blood blister, sore, or abscess.  More importantly, because of the location of this abscess it is almost impossible for this area to drain.  I haven't quite figured out how to tip El upside down. :)

So, now I have a problem.  The recurrent abscesses in the heel bulb have taken the integrity of El's heel and pretty much trashed it.  I am now faced with a choice, turn El out for 3 -6 months and hope that he would move enough on turnout to grow out a heel on his own or put a shoe on that hoof to support that heel.  The addition of the shoe will allow me to work him and accelerate the hoof growth.  Exercise stimulates blood flow, which in turn stimulates hoof growth. Okay, now I have a problem - I know that exercise will stimulate hoof growth, but the addition of metal will constrict blood flow.  Think, think, think.

When the vet initially gave me his recommendation of putting a shoe on that hoof, I felt very conflicted, but unless I can figure out a way to support that hoof, shoes it will be.  Wouldn't this violate my basic belief in my profession?  I thought about this for about 2 seconds, then remembered that the reason I became involved in hoofcare was to help horses and do what was best for the horse at all times.

If a vet that I really believe in tells me that El's heel needs to be supported by a shoe, and I don't know of any other way to help him - I have an obligation to do what is right for him, no matter what.

UPDATE:  After spending 24 hours pondering, researching the internet, calling friends and friends of friends, here's what I came up:
Basic problem:  Very low heels due to the repeated abscessing and boot rubbing.
Possible solutions:  Rear shoes for a short period to support hoof OR!  this is very exciting - Equi-casts. 
Equi-casts are a product similar the stuff that doctors use to cast a human's broken arm.  The use of Equi-cast will allow me to support and stabilize the hoof, allowing the heel to grow out with being abraded!
Many thanks to Pete Ramey, who wrote an excellent article on the use of Equi-casts.  Click the link below for the complete article.
Pete Ramey Article on the Use of Equi-casts
Pictures to follow.

Thanks to everyone who emailed or phoned with possible solutions.  Thanks even to those that chastised me a bit for thinking of putting shoes on.  Made me angry enough to keep searching.  Whether that was your intent or not - it worked!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Joslyn, you may already know this fellow...He had a horse at the trails last year..I recall he had issues with his horses heels as well..maybe you can contact him..sorry to say..I do not know what product he used to support, may be the equi-cast as well... I really liked him and the way he worked with horses..
    Chad Bembenek, AANHCP and AHA Certified Practitioner, ESA Instructor
    Triangle P Enterprises LLC Rio, Wisconsin , USA Phone: 920-992-6415 Home 920-210-8906 Cell
    email: trianglepenterprises@centurytel.net
    Web Site: www.trianglephoofcare.com

    If you are interested in attending a clinic go to: http://www.trianglephoofcare.com/C

    ReplyDelete